Source: The Design Files
So, as I've stated, I've just moved and am trying to get my feet under me in terms of reorganizing. I've realized I have far too many things that I simply do not want. I've outgrown massive amounts of things and I horde them due to pure nostalgia (this pack rat mentality runs in the family, trust me). So I've decided I'm starting from scratch. Kind of.
I'm going through my closet and getting rid of a vast majority of things. Despite pruning it prior to moving I've come to realize that I only wear about 15-20% of my wardrobe (varies with the season) and so I don't really need to hang on to some of the things I have. I'm also thinking of the possibility of utilizing space. That's where jars and bowls come in. I love them to pieces and I actually have quite a few I store things in. If they look pretty it's even better.
The above ceramics by David Pottinger are simply gorgeous. They definitely fill a place in my interior decorating heart.
However, the home is not the only place I'm thinking of making over. It's probably hard to guess (maybe) that I am completely driven by educating/fighting against world injustices. It is a huge part of my life, my being. Sometimes posting here feels rather shallow and I've hard a very hard time coming to terms with balancing these two very important aspects of my life.
I breathe fashion but activism runs in my blood. The problem? I cannot quite reconcile the fact that the fashion industry is based so much in the world of quick and disposable consumerism. It just doesn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy thinking of people working in sweat shops for mere pennies to create something so that I can fill my closet.
So I've decided that I'm going to start a new mission. I will be buying solely thrift and vintage and when I buy newer things I will try to be making very conscious choices. It's a tough world and there is no reason I should indulge in supporting something that makes my stomach turn.
This lengthy post will be ended by saying that I hope I do not come across as uppity and judgmental. This is a personal choice. This also DOES NOT mean that I am giving up this fashion blog. It's too important an outlet for me. Just expect the occasional politically driven, humanistic post. I will probably keep them few and far between and I will try to gear them towards fashion related issues (as one must know the obvious flaws in the fashion industry inequality).
Again, thank you for following me. And don't fear, this won't change much on this blog.