Hoor Hussain, 6, in Bahrain (source)
There's been a lot going on this week and I've been a bit distracted (no London Fashion Week image perusing for this girl). With violent governmental resistance to protesters in Libya, Bahrain and Algeria, silent protests in Iran, and earthquakes in New Zealand (and who know's what else has flow under my radar), the world is a very sad place.
I feel like I need to take the time to say that what is happening in the Middle East will not go away because we're too afraid to look at it. Further more, it is very sad, yes, but we need to acknowledge what is happening and what will happen.
We are all human beings. It does not matter if we are seperated by political governments or miles of ocean. We must support our brothers and sisters of humanity.
(source)
With the atrocities going on we should not look away. We should not care more about a 16 year old popstar's haircut than the loss of lives-lives lost fighting for freedom, fighting unjust dictators who are willing to kill them all just to stay in power.
(Source)
I know I cannot force anyone to pay attention to what is happening overseas (I have enough trouble getting people to pay attention to what's going on here in the U.S.), but I hope this post at least brought this into some of your hearts. I hope this post is a reminder that we are all part of something so much bigger than ourselves.
(source)
(source)
Egyptian demonstrators in Cairo (source)
Further readings on Libya (because there isn't much else for Algeria or Bahrain):
Mother Jones: What's Happening in Libya Explained
Al Jazeera
Ben Wedeman's Twitter (first Western journalist allowed into Libya)
The Atlantic
Lauren at The Flowershop
Livejournal Live Post (lots of other links and journalists twitters)