Friday, October 22, 2010

Morning at the Balcony

I shall be swanning about the house in my silk dressing gown today. Am looking forward to a delightful weekend of reading, a morning drive in the country, apple picking, brunch amongst the crimson and orange leaves of the season, an afternoon at the farmers market, dresses drifting in the autumn breeze, dinner with family and a game of chess with friends.

The poem below by Walter Savage Landor is fragile and so full of feeling. I think it echoes so perfectly the turn of the seasons. One can almost see the poet falling, like leaves.

Late Leaves by Walter Savage Landor
The leaves are falling: so am I;
The few late flowers have moisture in the eye;
So have I too.
Scarcely on any bough is heard
Joyous, or even unjoyous, bird
The whole wood through.

Winter may come: he brings but nigher
His circle ( yearly narrowing) to the fire
Where old friends meet.
Let him; now heaven is overcast,
And spring and summer both past,
And all things sweet.
From the Oxford Book of English Verse







Images: First two at the balcony: Friday morning's break-fast. Myself wearing antique Japanese silk dressing gown.

The Oxford Book of English Verse printed in 1905 by Clarendon press, Oxford, England( present from a dear friend), Trees aglow in the garden. Hope you've all had a nice week. What are your weekend plans?;-)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com