Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inside Style - Toes

Yogatoes®
Inside Style by Annmarie O'Connor - as featured in The Dubliner magazine - June 17th 2010

I hate my toes. Fact. I spent many a year pretending to be a size 7 shoe when really I'm an 8. Yet another fact. Given my unfortunate digital inheritance and years of surreptitious foot binding, I am not privy to use of the term 'flip flop'. This is a source of great anxiety for me each summer. A few years ago I went to Greece and was told by a complete stranger that something could be done about my toes. She went so far as to recommend Harley Street. I spent the rest of that holiday knee-deep in sand. With my 2010 Spanish break looming, I've been desperate to find sandals that can double up as a cunning disguise.

Thus far, I found a pair of fringed gladiators on Asos.com; and a jewel/feather offering from River Island – neither of which cloaks said offending piggies.  With little or no choice, I’ve been forced to engage in D.I.Y. tactics – if you can call them that. Let’s just say my sartorial strategy isn’t exactly military precise. I bought some peacock feathers (as you do) from A. Rubanesque, convinced that I could successfully glue them onto the sandal toe post. I also cut tassels from a cross-body bag in the hope creating some boho toe camouflage. No go. Both missions bore the hallmark of WW2 scrim netting; rather than haute haberdashery.

Time for a Plan B: a toe ring. Eureka! How very clever of me. Or was it? Perhaps the adhesive fumes from the previous exercise clouded my judgement but I don’t think I bargained on just how many would be required to cover my prodigious phalanges. Something tells me circus freak chic is an oxymoron.  Maybe I could just make like Lady Godiva and wear bells on my toes? Then again she was starkers so I doubt anyone was really looking at her feet.

Failing that, there’s a contraption called Yogatoes® - a big hit Stateside according to the bloggers at Beaut.ie. With the help of a gelatinous toe separator (and $50), one’s trotters can allegedly achieve Zen-like perfection.  Hmm, smells like marketing hokum methinks. (Rich words from the girl who just purchased a ‘millionizing’ mascara.) With that, my quest (and neurosis) continues. In the meantime, if you hear the distant sound of bells, you know where to hide.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com