Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sex In The 'New Middle East:" A Review of SATC 2

Do you want the truth here? I read some reviews prior to being convinced to see this flick of questionable worthiness. They were not good reviews. Not in the least. There was talk of the entire movie basically being gay men playing with life-sized barbies. About burkas and burkinis. Bad jokes and even worse political statements.

So I went in expecting nothing better than a sad attempt to freshen a dying franchise. My expectations were low so I figured I couldn't really be disappointed. Besides, no matter how often I've watched re-runs and dreamed about buying up all the seasons via DVD, I've never even seen the first movie so I figured it would be nothing but an older, sadder attempt to recapture the series.

I will say that, to some extent this seemed true. I was not persuaded by the misleading feminist agenda they offered up. It seemed shallow and overly American. A sort of lament of the 'poor, oppressed Arab woman.' I am not saying I don't believe this to be true to some extent. It certainly is as it is in any patriarchal society (this includes the United States as well). The reason I call it a misleading feminist agenda is that I've become aware of the news United States feminists receive of Arab women and how we assume that because they are covered they are suffering from a complete lack of power.

May I just say that being able (nay being encouraged) to wear short skirts, tight jeans or cleavage baring clothing is not freedom either. There are many levels to freedom and Arab feminists do in fact exist and do great work.

(Before I get too far away from the movie with feminist ramblings, I will wrap this up fast as its 2 in the morning and I'm suffering from slight delirium.)

I was not terribly touched by the thin plot or the various attempts to make it seem like this sequel was worth it.

The movie did have one saving grace. Or maybe a few. The shoes. The clothes. The interior decorating. A shallow saving grace perhaps but I have a passion for fashion and decoration. When it felt as if I could no longer bear the awful, stereotypical messages I found myself being sucked into Samantha's va-va-voom dresses, Charlotte's classy silhouettes, Miranda's bold prints. Oh and, lest I forget, Carrie's...well just about everything (this includes home).
There's something about Sex and the City fashion that makes me feel a spark of inspiration even if I would never wear anything remotely similar to what is displayed on the TV screen/Big screen. Despite what my mother says (she's a firm believer in only wearing 'extravagant' clothing for an actual occasion) I do feel that fashion is an absolute outlet of creativity and power to wield one's sense of self. This extends true for anyone. In any style. Fashion is just something I believe is worthwhile.

If anything, I would watch it again just to ogle the clothing. It's amazing eye candy. I guess, after all, this isn't surprising. What's Sex and the City without a full on fashion explosion?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com