Saturday, May 8, 2010

Infidelity : Why Do Men Cheat?



Mid morning....
Place des Vosges aglow with morning sunlight. Birds flying across a joyous sky, air sweet after last night's pitter patter of rain. Mothers taking their children to school, tourists on benches in the square garden. Coffee machines pouring out freshly brewed coffee on command. Parisians at cafes chewing one piece of croissant at a time.

When CB is late for supper, and he does not call to say so.
BB always think he's either reading poetry to his mistress or flirting with a student of philosophy in a far-off cafe, but what worries her most is; between lovers and thinkers there is no cure for infidelity.


I was on my way to meet a gallerist when my mobile phone rang. I contemplated whether to take the call because I was running late. After realising that it was my girlfriend, BB, from New York, I folded away my thoughts of business and answered with a cheerful, "Hello, my lovely!"

BB: Almost in tears. Darling, please answer this question as honestly as you can, why do men cheat?
ME: Shocked. Has CB been naughty( CB and BB have been married for 14 years ).
BB: Through showers of tears: Yes, CB is cheating, and he's not speaking to me"
ME :Cautiously. Are you sure there is someone else, sweetie?
BB : Angry and frustrated. Of course I'm sure....
ME: Trying to comfort BB. Dealing with infidelity is not easy. But don't start blaming yourself. He's responsible for his actions; he decided to travel that route. Am on my way to a meeting, BB. I shall ring you as soon as it's finished....

Now, today's question is, Why do men cheat? Is it because they can, or because our society accepts adultery, or because our media celebrates everything sexual? Is it because as humans we are never satisfied? Or does it have something to with one's values?

Are some women drawn to this type of man, and how does one tolerate/forgive infidelity? On a final note, are humans meant to be monogamous, and is monogamy a myth as in the book "The Myth of Monogamy: Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People" by David P. Barash? I know that women cheat, too, but that's another post. The floor is open. Would love to hear what everyone thinks on this provocative topic.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com