Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Hell's Angels and Prolific Demons"



















(Alexander McQueen Fall/Winter 2010-11 via tfs)
<>
I waited a few days to post this because I wanted to make sure I didn't sound like a complete moron. I wanted to write this without a need of urgency. I didn't want to leave this series of thoughts without a proper conclusion.
<>
I viewed the 16 piece Alexander McQueen that was presented on the 9th.
Initial thoughts were very vivid. The beauty of the pieces was very rich. The theme intrigued me. It was something that held so much potential. So much strength in the few surely unfinished pieces that we were allowed to see.
<>
I viewed the printed images twisted and draped around the body. I viewed beautiful, delicate looking structures that seemed born of origami yet held a medieval touch of sinister attraction to them. I viewed angel's wings on the back of floor-length gowns. The ironic realization of this statement did not escape me.
<>
I viewed the collection with fresh eyes and I felt my heart leap into my throat. Have you ever experienced that? I was overcome with the strong urge to cry.
<>
The fact that this beautiful collection was left unfinished by McQueen's hands left me with this deep feeling of sorrow and also this certainty that there was so much being kept from our view. The pieces (for the most part) are beautiful but I can't stop wondering what else he had in store for us.
<>
What's more I was reminded that we will never see another Alexander McQueen collection the way Lee McQueen did. We will never see the genius of his work again. Perhaps I am overly sentimental. Perhaps I've, once again, let my first and dearest fashion inspiration make me weepy. None the less. I feel like mourning the loss of McQueen all over again.
<>
Since I could never have known him in a personal sense I can only know him through his work. Through his work I can relive the wonders that brought my own creativity and belief in fashion alive. I can see the pieces that inspired not only me but so many other people. This final collection is beautiful to me but it is with a sort of sadness that I view it and perhaps always will.
<>
I will not say this is his best work ever because that simply is not true. I will not say it is my favorite collection of his ever because that is not true either. In fact there are many things I could be prone to saying simply because he is no longer with us. But I won't because I feel it is a disgrace to the work he showed us time after time.
<>
I can say what I see here is beautiful. I can say I wish I could see more of it. That I wish I could see this collection finished the way he would have chosen to finish it. That it is a beautiful finale to an era in time and fashion that I wish had never ended.
<>
Thank you, McQueen, for giving us such wonders for as long as you did. May you rest in peace.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com