Thursday, February 11, 2010
There are not enough words to adequately say good-bye to McQueen
The news of his death was shocking. I was upset. Deeply upset by this tragic loss.
I've read many blog posts today and none struck me as much as a post-script on The Sartorialist. The words were so simple and yet so unbearably true,
-
"[of blogs about McQueen's death] All very nice but I still feel so unsatisfied, so empty, even a little mad...when a big time movie star or politician dies someone like Tom Brokaw has always been there to help put it into perspective. If it was a sports star, fans would talk about it for days. However, for someone that loves fashion Alexander McQueen is just gone and no one seems to be able to make sense of it. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to turn to make it feel right or understandable."
-
It is hard to put into words how deeply impacting this is for so many people and for an industry. It leaves me feeling quite uncertain of many things. With news splashed here and there I have to come to the realization that perhaps, for fashion being such a mainstay in so many cultures, many people don't pay tribute to those who make these things happen. It's easy to take for granted the wonders of McQueen when you could have thought about what wonders he was about to give us next.
-
Perhaps it is with the attachment of a girl to her first and favorite fashion designer that I write these words but I feel very alone. Not in a bad way nor in a good way. My best friend told me of his death and watched me drift in and out of conversation for hours. There really are no words to describe what McQueen meant to me. His work was full of the stuff my dreams have been made of. He instilled such passion and inspiration in me. And he will always be missed by me and so many other people out there who, undoubtedly, feel the same way.
-
All I do know is that I have still not fully comprehended what this means for fashion, what this means for me or for anyone else. It's all so sudden. With his death, I am contemplating how deeply serious I am about fashion. This much is true, it is such a concrete piece of my life that I realize how much I would miss without it. Perhaps it is time I take it as seriously as I am capable of doing.
-
For McQueen, who will always remain in my heart, mind and style, I wish him sincere and deep peace. Though I do not understand his actions nor do I know him, I hope he is in a better place now. Slowly, we will all recover and we will never forget the wonders of fashion he gave to us through so many years. We will never forget.
Labels:
Alexander McQueen,
death,
fashion,
personal,
reflection