Saturday, December 5, 2009

[The indie-hippie trend I cannot stand]


(via Tumblr)
It may be because I am Native American or it may be because I hold onto a semblance of political correctness but this trend makes me want to react violently.
I do not understand how this is okay in any way or form. It is not as if the girls who partake in it are doing it to honor various cultures that have been systematically and nearly wiped out (let me note that not all Native Americans are the same nor are we all dead for that matter). If they wanted to honor our cultures it would not be in this way.
It also bothers me how I have seen girls of this caliber talking about how certain Halloween costumes are inappropriate because dressing up like a person from a distinct culture or ethnicity is wrong. What. The. Fuck.
It just pisses me off.
Granted this is most likely me taking it personally. Honestly, how could I not? This is the same sort of thing that bothers me just like the fact that Kevin Costner was given honorary tribal membership to the Sioux tribe for staring in Dancing With Wolves. It is all well that you realize that Native American cultures exist but do you not realize how insulting it is to see things such as this?
No you wouldn't because you are not capable of knowing.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com